[Ndn-interest] [EXT]question on request and response

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 27 04:58:19 PST 2021

Hi Marwa

>   Yes, as you have NFD running on the end hosts, they have caching.
> thanks, now I get it, but is it the same for ndnping, ndnpingserver?
> the ping is a test for the reachability so the request should go all the
> way to the destination no matter what, is that correct?
> the caching is not involved in this? i.e. there is no caching for the data
> packet of the ndnping because it should go the whole way to determine the
> RTT?

There's no concept of *destination* in NDN. Interest can retrieve any Data
that satisfies it.
The semantics of a reachability test in NDN is to determine whether the
client can reach a certain *content*.

Either a producer or a cache can fulfill the request for content.
Therefore, it's perfectly fine for the ping Data packets to be cached.