[Nfd-dev] review request: NDNLPv2 NACK, Fragmentation, LocalControlHeader

Klaus Schneider klaus.schneider at uni-bamberg.de
Thu May 28 07:30:27 PDT 2015

Hi Junxiao,

I hope it's not too late for my comments.

Most of the spec looks good to me. Here are just a few remarks/questions.

## Goals

I suppose that NDNLP will also work on wireless links? Maybe it's a good
idea to add IEEE 802.11 (WiFi) to the list of examples.

## NDNLP Packet Format

Maybe you can elaborate on why a NDNLP packet with unknown fields must
be dropped. What is the benefit against accepting the packet and
ignoring the unknown field? Should the receiver send a notice to sender
of the dropped packet (sth. like a NACK)?

## Network NACK

Maybe one can write out that NACK means "negative acknowledgment". It's
probably obvious though.

## Local Cache Policy

Am I right to assume that the policy affects only the single data packet
and not the other caching decisions (so CachingPolicy can't be set to
LRU, LFU, etc.)? Maybe one can make that more explicit.

I am also unsure if the caching policy is about the cache decision
policy (like cache/no cache), cache replacement policy or both. I assume
it's the latter case, but I think it can't hurt to make it more explicit.

## Misc.

Regarding the "reliability improvement": Did you have a look at RFC 3366
"Advice to link designers on link Automatic Repeat reQuest (ARQ)"
(http://www.rfc-base.org/txt/rfc-3366.txt) ?

They differentiate between Perfectly-Persistent (Reliable),
High-Persistence (Highly-Reliable) and Low-Persistence
(Partially-Reliable) ARQ Protocols. Maybe you can use some ideas from
that document. I think it's a great read.

I have appended a pdf file with a few orthographical suggestions. Please
consider that I am not a native speaker and may be wrong about some of
these.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Klaus