[Nfd-dev] practical congestion-control for app developers

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 29 18:42:54 PDT 2018

Hi Peter

Now, from an app-developer-who-cares-about-congestion-control point of
> view, I’m wondering: an application (consumer) needs to react to congestion
> marks received with data packets — "how exactly?" and which "inspiration
> examples" shall I follow in order to implement such a mechanism in my app?

I asked this in NFD call several months ago. The answer was: react to
congestion mark with AIMD algorithm.

In the paper (PCON by Klaus) I see there are parallels with TCP congestion
> window algorithms, is this the way to go for a general-purpose developer?
> How this was implemented in *ndncatchunks*?
> Or is there a library/shim code that abstracts this logic from the end
> developer that can be utilized?

ndn-cxx has SegmentFetcher that implements the recommended algorithm
https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cxx/blob/502b47956c067683f9fd75c3a0d3040c8d14e452/src/util/segment-fetcher.cpp
Look for "congestionMark" "windowDecrease" "windowIncrease" in this file.