[Nfd-dev] A Light-Weight Forwarding Plane for Content-Centric Networks

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sat Jul 23 16:27:01 PDT 2016

Dear folks

I've read CCN-DART paper.

CCN-DART eliminates the storage overhead of Pending Interest Table by
adding a "*destination-and-return token (dart)*" into every Interest and
Data packet, and use this token to identify which downstream a Data or Nack
should be returned to.
When a router forwards an Interest to an upstream, it adds a *dart* to the
Interest packet, and remember this *dart* in a DART table along with the
downstream faceId and the *dart* in the incoming Interest. When the
upstream responds with Data or Nack, the same *dart* must appear in the
Data or Nack packet, so that the router can lookup its DART, and return the
Data or Nack to the downstream face with the *dart* that is recognized by
the downstream.
The major difference from PIT is that: the lifetime of a PIT entry is
between forwarding the Interest and when the Data comes back, but the
lifetime of a DART entry is much longer: as long as there's no FIB change,
the same DART entry can serve all Interest from the same downstream face
and going toward the same producer (called "anchor" in the paper).

CCN-DART requires loop-free routing. It also contains solutions to prevent
persistent loops before routing converges, but I did not read that part.
CCN-DART assumes Interest name exactly matches Data name, although I
believe the protocol also works when Interest name is a prefix of Data name.
It seems that CCN-DART is incompatible with many forwarding strategies
because it does not keep per-Interest states.
It seems that CCN-DART cannot detect unsolicited Data because it does not
remember whether a downstream has expressed an Interest; in other words, a
malicious producer could push large amounts of unsolicited Data across the
network toward a consumer.

Yours, Junxiao