[Nfd-dev] review request: NDNLPv2 NACK, Fragmentation, LocalControlHeader

christian.tschudin at unibas.ch christian.tschudin at unibas.ch
Wed Jun 10 01:18:03 PDT 2015

Hi Junxiao,

thanks, nice to see this uptake.

I was (waiting for time to write this up and) thinking about another
general comment on the NDNLPv2 spec:

Currently it seems that the "protocol in charge" is defined implicitely
through the presence or absence of some fields. For example,
IndexedFragmentation could be defined as

"needs Sequence plus at least one of the fields FragIndex and FragCount"

If I introduce a BeginEndFragmentation protocol, the rule would be

"needs the BeginEndFragBits field"

and the implicit assumption that the fields present in a packet must
violate the previous rules, otherwise the router is confused which
protocol is in charge. (see also the note below on the "roles" that a
router should adopt).

My suggestion: the spec should either spell out these rules (and how new
rules have to be formed), or introduce an explicit protocol demux field
as is the case with SignatureType.

The latter approach has the benefit that new protocols can reuse
existing fields (and their type values) and that new protocols do not
necessarily need a new type-value (to mark their presence).

What do you think?

best, christian

PS: Here is a link on that question of how to organize the header space,
see Bob Braden et al's "From Protocol Stacks to Protocol Heaps - Role
Based Architecture"
http://conferences.sigcomm.org/hotnets/2002/program.html

which is exactly what TLV permits do to, namely to escape the strict
encapsulation. Dropping the header container was one such step in that
direction.