[Nfd-dev] review request: NDNLPv2 NACK, Fragmentation, LocalControlHeader

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jun 10 08:40:07 PDT 2015

Hi Christian

protocol in charge
The protocol in charge is determined by the link, not determined by every
packet.
Before an NDNLPv2 packet is processed, the receiver already knows what
features are enabled.
In the normal case, a link cannot be configured to run two fragmentation
features at the same time.

For example, if IndexedFragmentation is enabled on a link:
The receiver will expect Sequence, FragIndex, and FragCount.
When Sequence is missing, the packet is dropped.
When FragIndex is missing, it implied value 0 is used.
When FragCount is missing, it implied value 1 is used.

When a BeginEndFragBits field is received,
if the receiver understands B-E fragmentation feature but this feature is
disabled on this link, B-E fragmentation feature should define what to do
in this situation (typically, either drop or ignore);
if the receiver does not understand B-E fragmentation feature, the unknown
field procedure is used.

In case some link must run two fragmentation features at the same time, one
may define a new fragmentation feature that is a combination of these two.
It would be "Indexed + B-E fragmentation". It can either declare a demux
field, or dispatch according to what fields are present.
However, such combination fragmentation feature is not recommended. It's
expected for a link to choose at most one fragmentation feature.

Yours, Junxiao