[ndnSIM] Question on sending packets via netdeviceface

Spyridon (Spyros) Mastorakis spiros.mastorakis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 17:32:21 PST 2015

Hello Yali,

I forward your email to the ndnSIM maliing list in order to be visible to all the ndnSIM users.

Regarding your question:

This error means that the packet, which is received, has a header that cannot be recognized by ndnSIM. ndnSIM implements the communication model of NDN where two types of packets are defined: The Interest and the data packet. Hello packets are not defined.

Therefore, if a packet is neither an Interest nor a Data packet, the communication paradigm is violated.
If you really want to exchange Hello packets though, you will need either to specify a special Interest packet for this purpose (i.e., change the Interest class) and handle this Interest packet in a special way or to hack somehow the wire encoding/decoding methods and the face class in order to encode, decode and accept, respectively, packets other than Interest and Data.

Hope this helps.

Personal Website: http://cs.ucla.edu/~mastorakis/
Internet Research Laboratory
PhD Computer Science