[ndnSIM] Realistic but small topology for cache performance evaluation

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Tue May 28 23:34:03 PDT 2013

Hi Saeid,

I don't really have an answer to your question... You could try to use something like rocketfuel ISP maps (http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/networking/rocketfuel/maps/rocketfuel_maps_cch.tar.gz) for two different ISPs and then connect them in some way (here https://github.com/cawka/ndnSIM-sample-topologies are versions converted into more ndnSIM-friendly format).  It is not exactly "realistic" and I hope other have better suggestions here, but at least the scale is reasonable (e.g., AT&T topology is about 700 or 800 nodes).

Another possibility to handle long simulation times for large topologies is to try to use MPI module.  For this, you would need to partition the topology in some meaningful way (if you can afford one node per CPU, that would be the extreme case).  I did some successful experiments with a simple topology and manual topology partitioning, with reduction of simulation time almost proportionally to the number of CPUs used.