[Ndn-interest] Broadcast message

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 7 15:33:01 PDT 2017

Hi Ahed

> In a network scenario where every node is equipped with IEEE 802.15.4-based NDN:
> 1 - Is it possible to send a broadcast message (to send command or to advertise a service) to all the neighbor nodes.
Yes, 802.15.4 MAC supports broadcast addressing. NDN packets can be transmitted over broadcast channel.

> 2-  How can I get information on how to structure a broadcast message.
The main concern is that 802.15.4’s MTU is 127 octets. You may send regular Interests with NDNLPv2 fragmentation and reassembly, but each Interest would use many lower layer frames.

The NDN equivalent of “extensible command markers” is MarkedComponent <https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2012>. It’s not yet approved and not implemented.