[Ndn-interest] Selector Protocol over exact matching

Marc.Mosko at parc.com Marc.Mosko at parc.com
Fri Sep 26 01:26:41 PDT 2014

The ccnx 1.0 cache control directives for content objects are specified here, by the way.  This applies to content objects.

http://www.ccnx.org/pubs/ccnx-mosko-caching-01.txt

For an Interest, we played with the idea of adding a “MaximumAge” restriction so only a response with at least that many mills of remaining lifetime would satisfy the interest, but that didn’t seem like a great idea, so its not in the spec anywhere.

Saying “MustBeFresh” in an Interest, as its written up in NDN and in the old CCNx 0.x specs, does not work either.  Here’s a counter example:

A — |
B — C — D — E

Node A sends an Interest for “stale ok”.  Node C forwards it to D.  E is the actual producer who could send a fresh response.

Node B sends a “MustBeFresh” Interest.  Node C, seeing that its different than the previous interest, forwards it to node D too.

Node D receives the 1st interest from A and returns a stale Content Object.

Node C receives a ContentObject that says “Freshness=5”.  So, it must be fresh, yes?  Node C will send the stale response to both A and B.

Node E will eventually get the request from node B, because D could not satisy the request for a fresh response.  Node E forwards the interest to D, who caches it, then forwards it to C.  Node C has already satisfied the two interest, so it drops the fresh response.

Marc