[Ndn-interest] Selector Protocol over exact matching

christian.tschudin at unibas.ch christian.tschudin at unibas.ch
Fri Sep 26 01:12:45 PDT 2014

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Ignacio.Solis at parc.com wrote:

> On 9/25/14, 10:35 PM, "Lan Wang (lanwang)" <lanwang at memphis.edu> wrote:
>
>> In NDN, if a router wants to check the signature, then it can check.  If
>> it wants to skip the checking, that's fine too.  If the design doesn't
>> allow the router to verify the signature, then that's a problem.  In the
>> above description, the cache signs a data packet with a name owned by
>> someone else, it seems problematic for a design to advocate this.
>
> Routers that support the Selector Protocol could check signatures.
>

>> One difference is that here the returned data can satisfy only that
>> interest.  In the original selector design, the returned data can satisfy
>> other Interests with the same name but different selectors (e.g., > 50).
>
> Interests with the same selector would be exact matched throughout the
> network at any node.
>
> Interests with different selectors would not match on all routers, but
> they would match just fine on routers that supported the Selector Protocol.
>
> Basically, everything you want works on routers that support the Selector
> Protocol, but routers that don¹t want to support it, don¹t have to.

A perhaps more careful statement would be:

- interests carry a query, not the name of data
   (except if you go for the hash).

- caching results based on the query (that you call name)
   only works of the query is idempotent.

I doubt that the selector expressiveness remains in idempotent land.

One requirement thus would be that selector-carrying interests can
disable cache reponses from nodes that dont support selectors.

While it is true that you can force this by adding a nonce to each
query, it would be cleaner to have an explicit signaling. Such a
don't-cache-flag towards selector-ignoring nodes would be different from
the dont-cache-flag in the query (that is directed to selector-aware
nodes).

christian