[Mini-NDN] [EXT] About the Traffic Generator, nHits, nMissed and nEntries

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sun Feb 28 21:36:25 PST 2021

Hi Leanna

I am a newbie in mini-NDN and now still try to understand it.
> I have some question about the traffic generator and the log.
>
> 1. Before I generated the interest traffic in mini-NDN, I check the status
> of CS using "nfdc cs". The nHits and nMissed is not 0. Why? I think the
> nHits and nMissed should be 0 before any interest traffic produced.

NFD uses Interest-Data for internal management functionality, such as face
creation and FIB updates. These would cause Data packets to be created and
cached in the Content Store.

2. What is nEntries refers to? Why is the value is smaller than
> nHits+nMissed?

nEntries is the number of cached packets. It cannot exceed the Content
Store capacity.

3. I have used the traffic generator in mini-NDN (using "
> ndn-traffic-client.conf.sample and  ndn-traffic-server.conf.sample ").  Is
> the sample file generated the CBR request?

Yes, ndn-traffic-client is only capable of sending Interests at a fixed
rate.

4. I have tried to produce interest request for 2 type of content. But
> still, there is a lot of missed in router's Content Store. I imagine that
> the number of missed request should be very small because the same content
> is repeatedly requested, and it already cached in the content store (?)

ndn-traffic-client appends a sequence number to the end of every Interest
name, so that each Data packet is unique and cannot have cache hit.