[Mini-NDN] Fwd: How to restart of ndn services in mini-ndn

Ashlesh Gawande (agawande) agawande at memphis.edu
Mon Jan 7 08:22:02 PST 2019

Yes, when the switch is used the configuration is wrong. NLSR is configured with neighbor as switch with the IP 'None'. Switch does not run NFD/NLSR as switch runs in userspace by default.

You need to run Mini-NDN once without any modification so that the topology (the one you sent earlier) is generated, quit it and do the following:

1) Comment out IP setup:

https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/50778df22352e1f19c64c062e318dff6449b8ffb/bin/minindn#L346

2) Comment out these lines in NLSR setup:

https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/50778df22352e1f19c64c062e318dff6449b8ffb/ndn/apps/nlsr.py#L169

https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/50778df22352e1f19c64c062e318dff6449b8ffb/ndn/apps/nlsr.py#L171

and add this after (creating face to neighbors in NFD for NLSR to use):

if self.node.name == "a":
            Nfdc.createFace(self.node, '10.0.0.2', self.faceType, isPermanent=True)
        elif self.node.name == "b":
            Nfdc.createFace(self.node, '10.0.0.1', self.faceType, isPermanent=True)

Install Mini-NDN again.

3) Then manually configure the neighbor's in nlsr.conf:

node a as:

name /ndn/b-site/%C1.Router/cs/b
face-uri udp://10.0.0.2

and node b as:

name /ndn/b-site/%C1.Router/cs/b
face-uri udp://10.0.0.1

4) Run Mini-NDN, NLSR should work properly now.

You can look into the code and try to automate this. Since switch does not run NFD/NLSR, you will need to modify how nlsr.py configures the neighbors.

Can you please tell your use case for the switch?

Ashlesh

On 1/3/19 7:37 PM, knet solutions wrote:

Hi Ashlesh,

>Also, once the experiment has finished you cannot invoke the convergence again from the command line.
may i know , what was the reason behind this? I mean, if i manually stop and start , why the convergence is not happening.???

The main reason for the requirement is,

when i use switch in the topology, the configuration is wrong. it used wrong face uri, and data.  so i need to correct and restart the ndn services.

Thanks
suresh.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 12:05 AM Ashlesh Gawande (agawande) <agawande at memphis.edu<mailto:agawande at memphis.edu>> wrote:

Mini-NDN first starts NFD, then NLSR, and then runs the experiment pingall. In the pingall experiment you can start tcpdump before startPctPings:

https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/master/ndn/experiments/nlsr/pingall_experiment.py

(An example for ndndump startup is here: https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4436#note-1)

If you want to start tcpdump before NFD is started then put the code in bin/minindn before NFD is started.

Also, once the experiment has finished you cannot invoke the convergence again from the command line. You can manually check whether they have converged similar to how it is done in https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/master/ndn/experiments/experiment.py

Ashlesh

On 1/3/19 6:55 AM, knet solutions wrote:
Hi,

When i run the default-configuration,  its converged and pings fine.

"sudo minindn --experiment=pingall --nPings=50"

But I want to capture the network packets . so i stopped (killed the nfd and nlsr process on all nodes) and started the tcpdump capture on the nodes.

Again, i started the nfd and nlsr process as below on all nodes,

Example:
mini-ndn> a nfd --config /tmp/minindn/a/nfd.conf &
mini-ndn> a nlsr -f /tmp/minindn/a/nlsr.conf &

The process are running fine.

But Nodes are  not synchronizing/converging..

Am i missing some steps?

Note: I have not touched the configuration file.

Thanks
suresh

--
Regards,