[Nfd-dev] NDN Name Tree Implementation

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Feb 24 08:35:03 PST 2022

1/ there are multiple pieces of previous work related to name tree:
1.a: CNL (Jeff's paper in ICN2019) talks about how to construct library functions around the name tree.

Xinyu took on that direction to build libraries for Python and GO (still in progress)

1.b earlier, Zhehao Wang in Jeff's group did a project on namespace discovery,
Below is the latest exchange I had with him on October 2020:

> I recall you had some slides on the visualized namespace, but I can't find them.  Wonder if you still keep those old work? if so would appreciate a copy.
>
> I tried looking around but didn't think I found decks of slides on it. If it helps, I had a short video demo of what it looked like <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJc8C92PqII>, and the code is in this repository <https://github.com/zhehaowang/namespace-tree>. (NDN consumer logic <https://github.com/zhehaowang/namespace-tree>using JeffT's ndn-js, visualization <https://github.com/zhehaowang/namespace-tree/blob/master/js/tree.js> using d3.js)
> If I recall correctly the NDN consumer logic should be reasonably straightforward: walk name tree as you mentioned with an exclusion filter + get KeyLocator KeyName, and if data by that name is also already fetched, draw a line between the tree nodes to visualize what signed what.

Keep in mind that Zhehao's code used old NDN spec (which still had exclude filters)

2/ if you look for a (stable) storage of names, I dont recall such things existed.

3/ I had long proposed to support such functions, by having each node keep a piece of metadata for the immediate children's names.

Lixia