[Nfd-dev] Many Multicast Ethernet Groups per NIC

Davide Pesavento davidepesa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 15:10:07 PST 2021

Hi Raphaël,

Could you tell us a bit more about your use case? Why do you want to
use several Ethernet multicast groups?

If you're trying to achieve some sort of isolation at layer 2, I think
you're better off using VLANs. You can create multiple software VLAN
interfaces on top of your Ethernet device with something like:

    sudo ip link add link eth0 name foo42 type vlan id 42
    sudo ip link add link eth0 name foo43 type vlan id 43
    etc...

and NFD should create one multicast face for each of these VLAN
interfaces. Then you don't need different multicast groups.

Best,
Davide