[Nfd-dev] [EXT] NFD Profiling tool

Davide Pesavento davidepesa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 11:29:23 PST 2021

Junxiao,

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 8:06 AM Junxiao Shi via Nfd-dev
<nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Hi Ahmed
>
> Rebuild ndn-cxx and NFD with code coverage: ./waf configure --with-coverage
> When you run NFD, it will generate coverage files.
> You can then analyze them with lcov.

lcov is a code coverage tool, I'm not sure why you're suggesting it
for profiling.

> See also
> https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/1621
>

> Forwarding performance is measured in terms of packets per second, not Gbps.
> NFD is capable of 4800 Data packets per second, as reported on https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/1819#note-2 .

Those numbers are not/no longer relevant, you should stop citing them.
First of all, the benchmark uses UDP, not Ethernet faces. Second,
they're over 7 years old. Finally, NFD is CPU bound, so the results
are highly dependent on your hardware.

Davide