[Nfd-dev] Jenkins slave resiliency

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Sep 2 11:16:54 PDT 2019

Hi Ashiq

> All the slave nodes have redundancy on at-least two different sites except
> for CentOS-7 and osx-10.13. I am currently working to see if osx-10.13 can
> be replicated or not on another site other than UCLA. but as you can see,
> setting up mac VM on ubuntu VM is not straightforward and the best is to
> deploy on a mac machine directly which I have done previously for osx-10.14.

It's a license violation to run macOS on non-Apple hardware, virtualized or
not.
As far as I can see, both UCLA and FIU have the ability to host macOS
slaves. FIU has two 10.12 and UCLA has two 10.13. All you need to do is to
swap one of them.

For CentOS, I have asked the Memphis site maintainer to deploy a VM a long
> time ago, with a reminder a few days later but got no response.

Please CC the site maintainer on this mailing list thread, so that the
community can hold them accountable.

> Now, making the Jenkins master redundant on another site is NOT a
> straightforward task. Settings are far more complicated than setting up
> slave nodes.

Replication of Jenkins master is out of scope. This thread is about slaves
only.