[Nfd-dev] Jenkins slave resiliency

Md Ashiqur Rahman marahman at email.arizona.edu
Mon Sep 2 11:04:26 PDT 2019

Hello Junxiao,

All the slave nodes have redundancy on at-least two different sites except
for CentOS-7 and osx-10.13. I am currently working to see if osx-10.13 can
be replicated or not on another site other than UCLA. but as you can see,
setting up mac VM on ubuntu VM is not straightforward and the best is to
deploy on a mac machine directly which I have done previously for
osx-10.14. For CentOS, I have asked the Memphis site maintainer to deploy a
VM a long time ago, with a reminder a few days later but got no response.

Now, making the Jenkins master redundant on another site is NOT a
straightforward task. Settings are far more complicated than setting up
slave nodes. You are more than welcome to provide your input on how to
manage this. But please, suggest a way that's actually doable and feasible
and not only some fancy thing that's almost impossible and takes years to
do.

Best-
Ashiq

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 8:24 AM Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> Dear folks
>
> We don't need any more discussion. See the decision from 20180402 quoted
> below, which also assigned the task to Ashiq. What we need is *execution*.
>
> Yours, Junxiao
>
> On Sun, Sep 1, 2019, 13:52 Lixia Zhang <lixia at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
>> 1/ make this a topic for next call?
>>

>> Lixia (from my  iPhone)
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 20180402 NFD call discussed this issue.
>>>
>>> Beichuan reveals that Ashiq is going to take over Jenkins in May 2018.
>>> During the transition, he is going to learn how to deploy macOS slaves, and
>>> then he can start swapping nodes to be more resilient.
>>>
>>> There were also concerns about the Jenkins master being deployed at only
>>> one site, but there isn't a good solution yet.

Md Ashiqur Rahman
Research Assistant, Network Research Lab
Dept. of Computer Science
The University of Arizona