[Nfd-dev] ndn dissector and TCP segments

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Jan 28 10:27:11 PST 2019

Hi John

Frame 45 is a Nack packet. The dissector from git master branch can decode
it correctly. You probably have an older version. Even if you have
installed the latest version, your Wireshark could be loading an older
version elsewhere in the filesystem. It's also possible that your Wireshark
version is too old or too new for the dissector. I'm using Wireshark v2.6.3.
[image: Capture.PNG]

Wireshark is capable of reconstructing split packets of TCP streams
> (regardless the actual packet order) and our dissector simply works on top
> of that... I did basic tests in the past, but not too extensive ones.

It seems that ndn.lua does not use Wireshark's TCP reconstruction
functionality. It tries to interpret each TCP segment individually. Any NDN
packet crossing TCP segment boundary cannot be decoded correctly. In a
subsequent TCP segment, ndn.lua can find where the packet starts by trying
different offsets in findNdnPacket function
<https://github.com/named-data/ndn-tools/blob/7664b12f2ae20fbfbffdb763a2de3ead6cea8631/tools/dissect-wireshark/ndn.lua#L370-L381>
.

Frame 1267 has two Data packets, and four leftover bytes 06fd03c0 at the
end. These four bytes indicates that the next 960 bytes should be a Data
packet.
Frame 1268 TCP payload starts with 075e080577. ndn.lua discards 07e508, and
interprets 0577 as the start of an Interest. Since this isn't actually an
Interest, the dissector fails to decode the sub elements such as Name, so
it displays as just "Interest".

Following TCP stream is a useful feature. It's now tracked as
https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4820

Yours, Junxiao