[Nfd-dev] Wondering about NFD on Windows...

Davide Pesavento davidepesa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:09:59 PST 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:52 PM Junxiao Shi
<shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> C++ is not recommended on Windows.

err... what?

> NDN-CPP and ndn-cxx are both written for Windows. OpenSSL, socket API, etc are all troublemakers. You’ll be in the MXE (MinGW Cross Environment) rabbit hole sooner or later.
>
> If you want video, the least effort way is run it inside Vagrant and connect to X server and PulseAudio server in Windows. You won’t get good frame rate but it should work.
> Otherwise, do what Microsoft recommends and build everything in .Net Framework.

Microsoft's "recommendations" changed a long time ago. A few years ago
they substantially increased the development efforts on their C++
toolchain and now the MSVC compiler and standard library are quite
advanced and support almost all C++17 features. And then there's .NET
Core, which is preferable (portable, more lightweight, ...) if you
don't need to use any Windows-specific .NET APIs.