[Nfd-dev] Wondering about NFD on Windows...

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 13 15:36:01 PST 2019

Hi Peter

I’m wondering about feasibility of building/using NDN application on
> Windows.
> I see that the very first attempt
> <https://github.com/yoursunny/NFD-Windows> to run NFD on windows was
> abandoned due to huge amount of work required to port the code.

Its abandonment is not caused by “huge amount of work”, but triggered by
WSL.
If there were no WSL, I would be still releasing MXE binaries.

The more feasible solution seem to be using WSL
> <https://yoursunny.com/t/2018/NFD-on-Windows-10-WSL/>. I’d like to
> clarify few things regarding that:

Thanks for reading my blog posts. I’ve been discouraged from writing NDN
related blog posts because nobody is talking/tweeting about them. You are
one of the first that asked a related question.

> - does anyone know whether ethernet faces (specifically L2 multicast)
> support is now available on WSL?

Still no. AF_PACKET is unavailable in WSL. See
https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/1515

- if I have an app outside WSL that tries to connect to NFD locally, will
> it fail? (i guess it will, since there should be an issue with connecting
> over Unix socket which is non-existent on win64).

AF_UNIX is coming to Windows 10 Professional/Enterprise, but I don’t know
when.
Currently the socket lives inside WSL and you can’t connect from Windows
side.

what could be the steps to make this app work with NFD (connect over
> udp/tcp to localhost)?

UDP unicast and TCP both work.

will I also need to port NDN libraries to windows?

Yes. NDN-CCL’s .Net library should already work on Windows.