[Nfd-dev] Is any traffic datasets of NDN

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Fri Nov 9 22:24:40 PST 2018

Hi Junchen

   First, how do the packets of NDN transfer between two hosts today, are
> they using the IP protocol?

NDN runs over Ethernet directly, and does not depend on IP. See
http://hdl.handle.net/10150/625652 chapter 6.

>    Second, is it possible to capture the interest or data packets of NDN?

Yes. Use plain old tcpdump, and then analyze the trace with NDN dissector
for Wireshark.

   What's more, I wonder whether there is any traffic datasets of NDN in
> the real network environment. If any, is it possible to kindly provide
> some to me for research purpose?

I’m afraid not, because there aren’t many NDN applications generating
traffic.
I translated Network File System (NFS) traffic as local area network NDN
traffic, but it’s not same as real NDN traffic. See
http://hdl.handle.net/10150/625652 appendix A.