[Nfd-dev] two question about NFD

Lan Wang (lanwang) lanwang at memphis.edu
Wed Jun 27 11:07:32 PDT 2018

On Jun 27, 2018, at 12:59 PM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu<mailto:shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>> wrote:

Hi Lan

Suppose NFD receives an interest from a UDP multicast face, but then receives another interest of the same name from an application face, will NFD forward this interest out to the UDP multicast face (assuming the routing entry has that face as the next hop)?  With a point-to-point face, the answer would be no according to your email below.  But I guess for the multicast face, the answer is yes?

Say "application face" is face A and "UDP multicast face" is face B.
A strategy MAY forward an Interest from face A to face B, even if the Interest was received from face B previously. This is true even if face B is point-to-point.
A strategy MUST NOT forward an Interest from face A back to face A, because that would be a loop.

I see.  You can ignore my other email as we were talking about different scenarios.

In the above case, if I want to do interest suppression on the udp multicast (or ethernet multicast) face, I can simply change the strategy to not forward the interest from face A to face B if there’s already a pending interest of the same name there.  Is this correct?  Anything else necessary to add to the mechanism?

Lan