[Nfd-dev] Question about packet format v0.3 transition

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 6 10:49:32 PDT 2018

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 10:36 AM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Arthi
>

>> I'm hoping to use an Interest with parameters, and since support for that is not yet in ndn-cxx, I was wondering if there is a separate branch being used or any skeleton code I could look at
>
> Within the next few months, ndn-cxx must remain compatible with Packet Format 0.2 endpoints. Therefore, new fields such as Parameters are unavailable.

I can't recall the exact results from NFD discussion, but my vague memory does not match Junxiao's above statement.

Compatibility means supporting the old protocol format.
Compatibility does mean no support for new protocol field.

> I'm unaware of any "separate branch" for this feature. In general, I advise developers not to do significant development that cannot be merged within a few weeks, in order to avoid merge conflicts.

again I disagree with Junxiao here: significant development and mergability do not necessarily conflict each other.

>> to understand how to use parameters when they do become available.
>>

> Few people has any idea on how Interest Parameters *should* be used.

what does this statement mean ???

> Some protocol issues related to Interest Parameters adoption are:
> https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4599 Signed Interest and Command Interest

as I looked this up: I believe your proposed implementation needs to go through a thorough discussion (I am not sure I'd agree with your suggestion there)

the next issue is about management protocol, which is not directly related to other apps use of Interest parameter field.