[Nfd-dev] Re-basing NLSR on Chronosync

Ashlesh Gawande (agawande) agawande at memphis.edu
Fri Mar 31 09:33:05 PDT 2017

Hi all

Chronosync uses ndn-cxx logging facility (wrapper around boost logging facility).

Now I want to use NLSR based on Chronosync (instead of the old fork, Nsync).

NLSR has the option to daemonize. So I start nfd and run nlsr -d to daemonize NLSR (number of threads 2).

Then I stop NFD and NLSR gets an error (ERROR: error while receiving data from socket (End of file)).

But ps shows that NLSR is still running, with number of threads as 1.

I attach gdb to it and have attached the bt output.

I do not have this problem when NLSR is not daemonized.

Seems like it is happening because boost logging facility does not support fork:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_63_0/libs/log/doc/html/log/rationale/fork_support.html?

Any suggestions or comments?

(I am not sure why NLSR runs as daemon, https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/1795 does not provide much rationale other than backgrounding. Also NLSR does not close stdout when daemonizing

https://github.com/named-data/NLSR/blob/master/src/nlsr.cpp#L153).