[Nfd-dev] How to use NDN to set up a Ad-Hoc ?

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Jun 19 08:48:31 PDT 2017

Hi Jinyang

You are in luck when you have Ubuntu!
NFD offers Ubuntu binary builds in a PPA. It supports armhf architecture.
See
https://named-data.net/doc/NFD/current/INSTALL.html#install-nfd-using-the-ndn-ppa-repository-on-ubuntu-linux
for instructions.

NFD by default treats UDP multicast and Ethernet multicast faces as
broadcast. To make them recognized as ad-hoc, modify /etc/ndn/nfd.conf and
set face_system.udp.mcast_ad_hoc and face_system.ether.mcast_ad_hoc keys to
"yes".
If you need automated configuration editing from a script, it's recommended
to use infoedit https://github.com/NDN-Routing/infoedit rather than sed or
awk.
We are working on eliminating this configuration step in
https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4020

Afterwards, you can connect WiFi interfaces in ad-hoc mode, start NFD, and
create routes via wireless ad-hoc faces with `nfdc route add` command.

Yours, Junxiao