[Nfd-dev] Moving certs around

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.UCLA.EDU
Sun Sep 11 19:13:59 PDT 2016

Hi Junxiao,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I prefer not to copy them but am having the issues with autopropagation of a subprefix mentioned in my other recent email, and also occasionally need to move certs around to debug things.

Also, thanks for the explanation of ndnsec and reminder about the ndnsec-* way of invoking them.      I realize that I have been using ndnsec rather than ndnsec-* so the command-line options weren’t obviously available.  (Added a low-priority issue #3777<https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/3777> about this.)  I’ll look there first or in the docs, next time.

Best,
Jeff

From: Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>
Date: Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 6:06 PM
To: Jeff Burke <jburke at remap.ucla.edu>
Cc: "nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu" <nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: [Nfd-dev] Moving certs around

Hi Jeff

It's not recommended to copy private keys across machines. The best practice is to request a different certificate for each machine.

With that being said, ndnsec-export can write a key pair (certificate and private key) into a file protected by a password. This file can then be copied to another machine, and installed via ndnsec-import command. These commands must be called with "-p" option (to include private key); they are useless otherwise (returns an error).
An example of using these commands is in https://yoursunny.com/t/2016/nfd-prefix/ "where's the key chain" section. "sudo HOME=/var/lib/ndn/nfd -u ndn" portion is used to select PPA NFD's key chain, and you should omit this part if you are dealing with user's key chain.

Yours, Junxiao