[Nfd-dev] Moving certs around

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sun Sep 11 18:06:17 PDT 2016

Hi Jeff

It's not recommended to copy private keys across machines. The best
practice is to request a different certificate for each machine.

With that being said, ndnsec-export can write a key pair (certificate and
private key) into a file protected by a password. This file can then be
copied to another machine, and installed via ndnsec-import command. These
commands must be called with "-p" option (to include private key); they are
useless otherwise (returns an error).
An example of using these commands is in
https://yoursunny.com/t/2016/nfd-prefix/ "where's the key chain" section.
"sudo HOME=/var/lib/ndn/nfd -u ndn" portion is used to select PPA NFD's key
chain, and you should omit this part if you are dealing with user's key
chain.

Yours, Junxiao