[Nfd-dev] KEY in certificate names

Gusev, Peter peter at remap.UCLA.edu
Wed Mar 30 14:14:45 PDT 2016

Thanks! this clarifies a bit…

i think it’s a good time to ask of the “canonical” way applications should behave in terms of generating certificates/identities.

here’s how I see it now (with the example of user “mrfoo” form remap institution):

• User gets testbed certificate (which reflects her identity - can I say that?):
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo
• his public key is:
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ksk-12345…

• user launches app for the first time and (based on user’s identity) it generates “app identity” for signing instance certificates:
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ndncon
• app’s public key and certificate:
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ndncon/ksk-<timestamp>
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ndncon/KEY/ksk-<timestamp>/ID-CERT

• app uses app certificate to create an “instance identity”:
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ndncon/instance<timestamp>
• app instance public key and cert:
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ndncon/instance<timestamp>/dsk-<timestamp>
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ndncon/instance<timestamp>/KEY/dsk-<timestamp>/ID-CERT

• app instance registers prefix and serves data under this prefix:
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ndncon/instance<timestamp>

• app’s data packets are signed with instance certificate and keylocator is:
–/ndn/edu/ucla/remap/mrfoo/ndncon/instance<timestamp>/KEY/dsk-<timestamp>/ID-CERT

• app adds instance certificate to its’ memory content cache so that it can answer incoming interests with keylocator name

looking forward for your feedback.

Peter Gusev

peter at remap.ucla.edu<mailto:peter at remap.ucla.edu>
+1 213 5872748
peetonn_ (skype)

Software Engineer/Programmer Analyst @ REMAP UCLA

Video streaming/ICN networks/Creative Development