[Nfd-dev] namespace-based strategy choice weakness

Klaus Schneider klaus at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jul 6 17:36:28 PDT 2016

Hi Susmit and Junxiao,

>> b)
>> Each strategy optimizes for a different goal, such as lower delay,
>> higher throughput. It does not prioritize traffic of one application
>> over another.
>> If you mislabel web traffic as download traffic, you get higher
>> throughput but possibly more delay so navigation actions are less
>> responsive.

Yes there is often a trade-off between things like throughput, delay and
reliability. This will hopefully minimize the incentive to mislabel the
preferred strategy.

However, I'm not sure if that works in practice. It can become a problem
when some strategies are clearly superior than others, like IP QoS
classes ("best-effort", "expedited forwarding", "assured forwarding", etc.)

Or if some strategies (like broadcast) create a much higher overhead
than others.

I like the idea of using a header field for the strategy choice:

> To support this use case, an Interest can carry a strategy choice field. NFD can choose a strategy according to this field.
> We could either put a strategy name into this field and let NFD retrieve the strategy program, or put some generic preferences in this field and let NFD pick a strategy that best matches those preferences.
> The bandwidth overhead of this field is less of a concern, because it would be much smaller than a Link object.
> A major challenge in this second idea is that it's unclear which strategy would be used if Interests sharing the same PIT entry from different consumers are asking for different strategies. It's certainly undesirable to split into multiple PIT entries based of different strategy choice and send packets multiple times.

Maybe use "first come, first serve" (i.e., the first Interest determines
the strategy of the PIT entry).

Or use some sort of cumulative logic: Let's say the first Interest wants
"shortest path", so it is forwarded on the shortest path. A later
Interest wants "broadcast", so then it is sent out on the remaining
faces. (Just throwing out ideas. I can see a number of problems here,
like messing up RTT measurements and overhead).

Also, does the strategy choice in the header field determine the
strategy of all routers? What if you want "shortest path" on all the
routers inside the network, but "access strategy" on the last hop?

Best regards,
Klaus