[Nfd-dev] NDN for android - NDNWhiteboard

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Feb 26 00:20:06 PST 2016

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 7:06 AM, andrey maia <andreylmaia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to run the NDNWhiteboard setting the routes to my own PC
> (using udp://MY_PC_IP instead of  udp://spurs.cs.ucla.edu)
>
> I already have an InterestFilter, based on consumer-producer API, set up to my PC (instead of /ndn/edu/ucla/remap/ping). It is working for ping, but I'm still not able to fetch any content properly from other devices.
>
> RegisterChronoSyncTask: SYNC: /ndn/edu/ucla/... don't even appears in my log
>
> Am I forgetting some configuration on my server?
> It would be very helpful, if anyone could help me on this issue.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andrey Maia

As I understand, the issue is that your own PC has no idea that it needs to forward interests towards the devices.  There is a proper solution (automatic prefix propagation), but it not yet working with NFD-android.  The current workaround is to run additional nfd-autoreg daemon on your PC.   nfd-autoreg automatically creates a route for the defined prefix whenever somebody triggers creation of "on-demand" face (e.g., by sending interest over UDP face).

In the simplest case, just run

    nfd-autoreg --prefix=/some/prefix

After that you will need to update the Whiteboard app to use the same prefix.

* * *

Just a side note.  The correct solution is for Whiteboard app to obtain (in some automatic way) key and cert that correspond to the prefix under which it can publish.  Using this key, the app/NFD-android will be able to automatically register and maintain "back route" from the hub (your PC) towards the phone.  There are a few components that we have developed for this, but given limited manpower it is still in progress.

---