[Nfd-dev] Preview of NFD-iOS and SwiftNDN library

Wentao Shang wentaoshang at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 17:03:20 PDT 2015

Hi team,

I write this message to inform you that there has been major progress on
porting NFD to iOS platform. As for now, I'm able to compile and run NFD as
an iOS App on the iPhone simulator. I cannot test it on real device because
it requires signing the package with Apple-certified developer's key which
I don't have. So there might be unexpected bugs when the App runs on real
iPhones :P Unfortunately the code is not available on Github yet because
I'm still trying to reorganize the dependencies in order to simplify the
build process. After that I'll publish the code.

Before I started the porting work, I was already working on a new NDN
client library written in (almost) pure Swift, which is designed for Apple
platforms exclusively (Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc.) It is not polished right
now but you can take a look at the code at
https://github.com/wentaoshang/SwiftNDN

The motivation of using Swift as a development language is because it is
one of the best languages for building OSX and iOS apps, especially when
you need a GUI interface using Cocoa or Cocoa Touch. (The other choice is
Objective C but I don't quite like that language. Also, Apple is promoting
the new language very hard to hopefully replace the old one.)

Attached are some screenshots of the NFD app running on iPhone simulator.
It is built with Cocoa Touch and SwiftNDN and has the basic functionality
of reporting forwarder status such as faces, fib and rib information. All
my testing are done primarily using this demo app and some basic
consumer/producer apps built with the same libraries.

Best,
Wentao