[Nfd-dev] Signed Interest processing: alternate to stop-and-wait

Mark Stapp mjs at cisco.com
Mon Feb 23 09:50:59 PST 2015

I'm sorry - I'm not following how this can be a realistic problem. if
you have an application that serializes its commands, then ... each
command _must_ have some serial number associated with it, yes? that
sort of _must_ be monotonic, so that a receiver can determine whether a
gap has appeared. a timestamp is not a substitute for a monotonic
counter, because the receiver cannot detect a gap immediately. if an
incoming message introduces a gap, the application (or a parameter to
the security library) needs to determine whether that message can be
processed immediately, as if it were idempotent. otherwise, there will
out-of-order processing if any messages are reordered. if "green" is
message #3 and it arrives before the receiver has seen "red" (#2), then
the receiver can't just apply #3, that would be just ... wrong.

-- Mark