[Nfd-dev] Handling new content in app for pending interest in NFD

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.UCLA.EDU
Wed Apr 1 11:01:05 PDT 2015

Hi Junxiao,

Thanks!  It would be great to summarize  such things in a design document somewhere rather than relying on the mailing list traffic / issues... Has the team considered this?

One question:  The approach suggested by these recommendations seems to be motivated by having the application's in-memory cache play the role of the content store...  I'm not sure that necessarily they have the same goals.  (I have to think about this more.) For example, the app may just want to support a modest history (last few seconds of video, for example), while the forwarder may have its own goals that result in caching more or less than this.   So is what you're describing on the level of an architectural recommendation or simply the best approach we have for now... ?

Jeff

From: Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu<mailto:shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 10:21:02 -0700
To: Jeff Burke <jburke at remap.ucla.edu<mailto:jburke at remap.ucla.edu>>
Cc: "nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu<mailto:nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu>" <nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu<mailto:nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu>>
Subject: Re: [Nfd-dev] Handling new content in app for pending interest in NFD

Hi Jeff

The recommendation for "soft realtime app" is given below.
Please note that some features are not yet implemented, but the specifications are already approved.
Watch each listed feature for implementation progress.

The forwarder MUST NOT cache unsolicited Data, regardless of its origin.
Feature: http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2181
Announcement: http://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/nfd-dev/2014-November/000605.html

A soft realtime app MUST maintain an in-memory storage.
It MUST NOT rely on the forwarder to cache its Data, even if they are sent to the forwarder in response to an unexpired Interest.
The data structure is referred to as "in-memory storage" rather than "cache", because it SHOULD be fully managed by the app to keep all Data that the app wants to serve. It's not a cache where useful Data can be evicted.
Reason: the forwarder is free to evict any Data.

A soft realtime app SHOULD set CachingPolicy=NoCache in LocalControlHeader (or NDNLPv2 header) on a Data served from an in-memory storage.
The local forwarder ContentStore SHOULD NOT cache a Data with CachingPolicy=NoCache.
CachingPolicy field is not carried to remote forwarders, so that remote forwarders can still cache the Data. It avoids duplicate Data copies on localhost.
Protocol: http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/nfd/wiki/LocalControlHeader#CachingPolicy-feature
Feature: http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2183 http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2185 http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2184

A soft realtime app MAY maintain its PIT to avoid sending unsolicited Data.
When an app chooses not to maintain a PIT, sending unsolicited Data has no harmful effect.

Yours, Junxiao