[Nfd-dev] Handling new content in app for pending interest in NFD

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Wed Apr 1 10:21:02 PDT 2015

Hi Jeff

The recommendation for "soft realtime app" is given below.
Please note that some features are not yet implemented, but the
specifications are already approved.
Watch each listed feature for implementation progress.

The *forwarder MUST NOT cache unsolicited Data*, regardless of its origin.
Feature: http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2181
Announcement:
http://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/nfd-dev/2014-November/000605.html

A soft realtime app MUST maintain an *in-memory storage*.
It MUST NOT rely on the forwarder to cache its Data, even if they are sent
to the forwarder in response to an unexpired Interest.
The data structure is referred to as "in-memory storage" rather than
"cache", because it SHOULD be fully managed by the app to keep all Data
that the app wants to serve. It's not a cache where useful Data can be
evicted.
Reason: the forwarder is free to evict any Data.

A soft realtime app SHOULD set *CachingPolicy=NoCache* in
LocalControlHeader (or NDNLPv2 header) on a Data served from an in-memory
storage.
The local forwarder ContentStore SHOULD NOT cache a Data with
CachingPolicy=NoCache.
CachingPolicy field is not carried to remote forwarders, so that remote
forwarders can still cache the Data. It avoids duplicate Data copies on
localhost.
Protocol:
http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/nfd/wiki/LocalControlHeader#CachingPolicy-feature
Feature: http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2183
http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2185
http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2184

A soft realtime app MAY maintain its PIT to *avoid sending unsolicited Data*
.
When an app chooses not to maintain a PIT, sending unsolicited Data has no
harmful effect.

Yours, Junxiao