[Nfd-dev] Install dependency packages in Jenkins script

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Sun Nov 2 12:15:22 PST 2014

> On Nov 2, 2014, at 6:29 AM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear folks
>
> There are a few instances that build fails on Jenkins due to missing dependency on slaves.
> All projects that depend on ndn-cxx contains a script in their repository that installs ndn-cxx.
> Shall we do the same for system package dependencies?
>
> Specifically, a build step of Jenkins script can determine current OS version, and execute either apt-get or MacPorts to install the necessary packages.
> This would simplify the process of installing new Jenkins slaves

Just in case. OS X buildbots do not use macports (it was easier and more uniform to set up using brew).

We had something like this for several projects (NLSR).  The only issue with that I see is OSX 10.8, which requires special way of installing dependencies (which may fail if the process is completely offloaded to project-specific scripts).  For all other systems, this can definitely be done.

—