[ndnSIM] Unwanted Broadcast

Ygor Amaral ygor.amaral at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:06:01 PST 2021

Hello everyone,

I am having network performance issues in ndnSIM.

All interest and data packets are sent to the destination via broadcast.

This is not a problem on a point-to-point link. However, when using CSMA or
WiFi, excessive use of broadcast severely degrades performance.

For example, on WiFi networks, it is not possible to use VhtMcs9 mode for
broadcast packets. Performance is really bad.

Why was ndnSIM designed this way? I saw that on Mini-NDN the packets are
not sent via broadcast.

I saw that the broadcast is defined in:
- ndnSIM/model/ndn-net-device-transport.cpp
     - line 121: m_netDevice->Send(ns3Packet,
m_netDevice->GetBroadcast(), L3Protocol::ETHERNET_FRAME_TYPE);

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this broadcast?

Best regards,
Ygor Amaral