[ndnSIM] Freshness value handling

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Feb 3 06:15:50 PST 2021

> On Feb 3, 2021, at 2:04 AM, Samar Alduayji via ndnSIM <ndnsim at lists.cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I just have a question regarding handling the freshness value of data packet when it is sent from one node to another.
> i.e. when a data packet is cached in node A with freshness value ( ttl) of x seconds, then after y seconds the data is retrieved to be send to another node B. Will the freshness value stay x seconds or there is a process that it implemented within the ndnsim to change it to x-y seconds?

ndnSIM follows NDN design.
By design the whole data packet, including the freshness period, is signed by the original producer (cannot be changed by other parties).

1/ wonder why you are interested in carrying (x-y seconds) in the packet?  (Playing with cache management?)

2/ to experiment, someone suggested earlier the idea of attaching such a value to the data packet (e.g. by NDNLP), I dont think ndnSIM itself does it.