[ndnSIM] NDN Deployment Over Ethernet

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 10 17:55:47 PST 2021

> On Dec 10, 2021, at 4:56 PM, Ahmed Taffal via ndnSIM <ndnsim at lists.cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me if deploying NDN over Ethernet is considered a native (clean-slate) deployment of NDN? Because as I know, deploying NDN over Ethernet will provide all the native NDN features, but in a research paper comparing Native vs. Overlay-based NDN, they said that native NDN deployment is only provided by ndnSIM, which provides NFD with transport to NetDevice.

I did not fully understand the above statement -- ndnSIM is only simulation, not sure what that has to do with real NDN deployment.

> So, if deploying NDN over Ethernet is not considered a native deployment, what is the difference between it and the native deployment provided by ndnSIM?

I do not feel clear what "native deployment" implies here.
I know others have run NDN directly over Ethernet, and over UDP/TCP tunnels where NDN treats the tunnels just as any other links.

Lixia