[ndnSIM] [EXT] docker-ndnsim

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Dec 2 18:53:46 PST 2021

Hi Fabrizio

I discovered your project a few months ago and it looks useful.

Your Docker image is almost 2GB in size.
It should be possible to reduce the size significantly:

* Don't install libboost-all-dev: ndn-cxx does not actually need everything
it pulls in, but only a small subset, see
https://github.com/yoursunny/NFD-nightly/blob/112de906c871d79e34a0bbac151436002ec63233/compile.sh#L86
* Install either Python 2 and Python 3. Publish Python 2 and Python 3
variants as different tags.
* Use fewer layers. WORKDIR layer can be replaced with a simple cd command.
* Download GitHub repository as tarball instead of cloning, so that git
history does not take up space.

Yours, Junxiao