[ndnSIM] meaning of HopCounts -1 in application level traces

Alex Afanasyev aa at cs.fiu.edu
Thu Sep 3 09:26:06 PDT 2020

Yeah, it wasn't intentional, but I checked the code and I see that NextHop will be -1 if Interest/Data never traveled over network links. Whenever it was forwarded, it should be set properly.  You can simply treat it as 0.

-
Alex

> On Sep 2, 2020, at 9:27 PM, Pawan Subedi <psubedi at crimson.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear ndnSim team,
>
> Sorry to bother with the last email. I think I have figured out the real cause of the problem. I had actually set the producer application and the consumer application for the similar name prefix in the same node for some nodes while selecting nodes randomly.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Pawan Subedi
>

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:32 PM Pawan Subedi <psubedi at crimson.ua.edu <mailto:psubedi at crimson.ua.edu>> wrote:
> Dear team,
>
> I had posted this issue yesterday where I was seeing -1 as hop count in app-level traces. After carefully looking at my simulation scenario, here's what I found:
> -If I set the mobility of the producer nodes to ns3::ConstantPositionMobilityModel, I only see the trace file with positive hop counts.
> -If I set the mobility of the same producers to mobility model based on output of ns-2 using Ns2MobilityHelper, I start seeing the -1 hop counts.
>
> Are we not supposed to have mobile producers with ndnSim or am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Pawan Subedi

Alex Afanasyev
Assistant Professor, SCIS, Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street, PG6 Room 140D, Miami, FL 33199
phone: +1.305.348.4960 (office); email: aa at cs.fiu.edu
web: https://users.cs.fiu.edu/~afanasyev/