[ndnSIM] Solution to: "unresolved symbols" related to modified ns-3/src/ndnSIM files

John Baugh jpbaugh at umich.edu
Sat Feb 17 22:58:11 PST 2018

Greetings ndnSIM friends,

This is *not *a question, but rather for posterity's sake, I am documenting
an interesting situation that cost me a couple hours because of (incorrect)
assumptions.  Hopefully this will help others.

Here's what I did:

I copied an *entire *local directory containing an ndnSIM install (in other
words the top level directory containing ns-3, scenario, and pybindgen) to
a different name.

Note that *if you do this, AND if you modify anything in the ns-3 or
underlying files, you must re-configure and re-build ns-3 *in addition to
your scenarios.

I, for example, modified some files in ns-3/src/ndnSIM/NFD/daemon/fw that I
had created, primarily adding a new member function (method) to a class in
that folder.

Even after going through a ./waf configure, then ./waf, then sudo ./waf
install in ns-3, when I tried running scenarios I got an unresolved symbols
error related to a new method I had added.  After ruling out all the major
culprits (mispellings, not cleaning the build folder out, etc.) I went back
to basics and read (again) the trusted README file for scenario-template.

There was the issue....

*Specifically, you must first build ns-3, and then try building/running
your scenarios as follows:*

1.)  Configure and build ns-3

cd ns-3
./waf configure -d optimized
./waf
sudo ./waf install

2.)  Then, in your scenario directory:

./waf configure
./waf --run scenario

These commands were of course, copied from the README file.  But I had
assumed I just needed "./waf configure" instead of "./waf configure -d
optimized" in the ns-3 folder, and that assumption cost me quite a bit of
time.

Hopefully this helps someone having similar issues.

Thanks!

John