[ndnSIM] Response time

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Feb 1 11:29:47 PST 2018

Hi Chavoosh

The answer assumes you are working with forwarding or strategy.

What is the best way to measure the response time of Interest packets
(i.e. *the
amount of time from receiving an Interest until it gets satisfied*)?

The refresh time on PIT in-record reflects when the Interest arrived at the
current node from a specific downstream. Subtract Simulator::Now() by the
refresh time tells you the response time. However, if the downstream
retransmits, the refresh time would be updated to reflect when the last
retransmission arrives. In this case, you can't distinguish whether the
Data is satisfying the original Interest or the retransmission.

Pit records do not keep any timestamp (e.g. insertion time), so I doubt
whether Pit entries can provide us with enough info to measure the response
time for a given Interest.

PIT in-record or out-record refresh time can be used for this purpose when
there's no retransmission, as described above.

, I think it is not an efficient solution to add a record for each Interest
into the Measurement table to measure response time.

It would be a wrong solution prior to NDN Packet Format 3.0, because
multiple Interests with same name but different selectors would use the
same measurements entry and thus conflict.