[ndnSIM] Interest Satisfaction Rate (ISR) Calculation

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 3 07:59:06 PDT 2018

Dear folks

I have a related question: what does "Interest satisfaction rate" for a
nexthop means on a forwarder?

Consider the scenario where a forwarder G has one downstream node C, and
two upstream nodes (aka nexthops) P and Q:

     /---P
C---G
     \---Q

G is using multicast strategy.
When it receives an Interest from C and forwards it to both P and Q, P
responds immediately and the Data goes back to C.
As in a recent NFD commit
<https://github.com/named-data/NFD/commit/7003e0bc669c113bc112c784119750581b83d2a6>
(which will appear in ndnSIM sooner or later), there isn't a "straggler
timer" anymore so the PIT entry is removed immediately.
Q responds several milliseconds later, at which time the PIT entry at G is
already gone and G drops the Data.

Should G count a "Interest satisfaction" on nexthop Q, or count a "Interest
timeout" on nexthop Q, or neither?
Note that I'm not asking how ndnSIM's tracer currently behaves, but I'm
asking how it should be designed, and what's the best design of this
measurement if a strategy is to use it for forwarding decisions.

Yours, Junxiao