[ndnSIM] Modifying the Forwarder class (and related questions)

John Baugh jpbaugh at umich.edu
Mon May 15 21:33:51 PDT 2017

Greetings ndnSIM friends,

1.  I performed a grep on many of the files in the ns-3/src/ndnSIM/
directory and s*ubdirectories, and I can only find Forwarder() being
constructed inside the initialize() method of the Nfd class in nfd.cpp*
with:

     *m_forwarder.reset(new Forwarder());*

The only place I can find *Nfd::initialize()* being called appears to be in
a* main.cpp* file in the NFD/daemon directory.

My question is:  *in a regular scenario, where (directly or indirectly) is
Nfd::initialize() being called*?

2.  I was told that Forwarder cannot be subclassed such that the ndnSIM
simulator will use the new subclass (i.e., there appears to be no way to
"set it") - *so, how do I ensure it's being recompiled and the new version
used by the system?* (just ./waf?)

3.  I added a simple cout<< statement to the Forwarder constructor to see
if it's being called in say, a copy of the ndn-simple.cpp scenario.  It
doesn't appear to ever be called.  *I assumed a Forwarder has to be created
in all scenarios* (I further assumed it was done somewhere behind the
scenes by Strategy class?)

Thank you for your patience and your assistance with these questions.

Thanks,

John