[ndnSIM] How to add a new TLV filed to the Data packet

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sat May 6 12:39:06 PDT 2017

Hi Ru

Before talking about code, we need to understand the protocol.
NDN network is a distributed system, c and forwarding is hop-by-hop. Every
NDN node has a ContentStore which is an opportunistic cache of Data packets.
A Data is "requested" if a consumer expresses an Interest that can be
satisfied by the Data. The Data can be served from a producer, or from a
cache anywhere in the network.
While a node can count how many times a Data is "requested" by an Interest
reaching this node, it would not be possible to count how many times a Data
is requested globally without using additional control messages.

Regarding code: see
https://lo.calho.st/networks/adding-custom-packet-fields-to-packets-in-ndnsim-2-3-without-forking-the-entire-repository/

Yours, Junxiao