[ndnSIM] Forwarder's onIncomingInterest

John Baugh jpbaugh at umich.edu
Tue Jun 13 01:29:04 PDT 2017

Greetings all,

I resolved many other issues, and now I'm come to a bit of a concern
regarding the forwarder class.

I have been recompiling the Forwarder class, with some modifications to
onIncomingInterest (actually, it just calls another method I wrote, and
that method calls the method of a shared object called
PopMan->recordInterestStats(inFace, interest))

So here's what I originally understood:

   - If an interest arrives at a *node*, the Forwarder's onIncomingInterest
   (I think indirectly through startProcessInterest, at least) is called
   automatically *every *time any interest arrives

The behavior I'm observing is:

   - If an interest is about to be *forwarded*, then Forwarder's
   onIncomingInterest is called

Now, I realize the name "Forwarder" might have been a clue...  but I was
under the impression that this class sensed *all incoming interests to the
node*, not just ones that are to be forwarded.

1.  Please confirm the behavior of this method

2.  If I'm right, *is there any way *to detect when an interest arrives at
a node (not when the interest is to be forwarded, or cached, etc. - but
EVERY TIME an interest arrives at a particular node.

I had previously spent several weeks before working with the Strategy
class, thinking afterReceiveInterest was called every time an interest was
received at a node...  it turned out I was wrong.

I was told (I think?) that I needed to override Forwarder's methods
instead.  So I did.

I've learned a lot, don't get me wrong.  I just am not getting the behavior
I expect, and I'm starting to become extremely concerned that I've gone
down the wrong path... again.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John