[ndnSIM] Policy question (cleanup index, beforeEvict signal, etc.)

John Baugh jpbaugh at umich.edu
Sat Jun 3 15:59:45 PDT 2017

Greetings ndnSIM folks,

I have a couple questions just to ensure I'm perfectly clear on the
terminology and semantics used in the NFD documentation (and ndnSIM
documentation):

In the NFD documentation for Policy's *doAfterInsert *method, the following
is present:
"invoked after a new entry is created in CS

When overridden in a subclass, a policy implementation should decide
whether to accept i. If i is accepted, it should be inserted into a cleanup
index. Otherwise, beforeEvict signal should be emitted with i to inform CS
to erase the entry. A policy implementation may decide to evict other
entries by emitting beforeEvict signal, in order to keep CS size under
limit."

   1. *What exactly is meant by "cleanup index"? *
      - Does this mean a data structure so as to track what items are in
      the content store so that a cache replacement algorithm can be properly
      applied to the correct items?
   2. *By the beforeEvict signal being emitted from the iterator, does this
   actually cause the CS do remove the specified data item with the given
   iterator?*

* - this->emitSignal
<https://ndnsim.net/2.1/doxygen/signal-emit_8hpp.html#a33665abef4d805a760517424509a19c3>(beforeEvict
<https://ndnsim.net/2.1/doxygen/classnfd_1_1cs_1_1Policy.html#a442af19fefa3fbe0267471117149c998>,