[ndnSIM] Memory leaks

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jan 31 09:56:59 PST 2017

> On Jan 31, 2017, at 8:31 AM, Saad SA <maxpromindz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I had an application on ndnSIM version 0.2.8, and it was working too fine. Now I'm using the latest version, I changed the old application to work over the new ndnSIM and noticed huge memory leaks that are proportional to the run-time; On some computer it took more time and consumed 10 GB of RAM !! and on another faster one, it took less, hence consumed less RAM (4 GB or less), both are still huge amounts of memory as I'm using a small topology with 18 nodes and an average frequency of 500 requests/s; and all of that was running fine on the older version of ndnSIM.
> Any ideas?

Can you clarify a bit (if you can share a simple scenario that highlights the issue, it would be even better). Was the memory consumption growing or got to a point of high utilization and stabilized (you said it is run-time, but then mentioned that simulation finished).  The reason I'm asking is that the old version of ndnSIM had optimization of "virtual payloads", which is not available in the new version.  This has impact on the amounts of memory used, but it should be just a constant factor increase, not continuous increase during runtime.