[ndnSIM] add delay before forwarding Data

Teng Liang philoliang at email.arizona.edu
Thu Jan 5 10:58:58 PST 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Muhammad Hosain Abdollahi Sabet <
mhasabet at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​Teng,
>>

> I've heard there have been some experiments for such modification at the
> time of cache hit, in order to hide the fact that some content has been
> retrieved from cache. So, if it is the matter,
> ​ I guess​
> you may work with Forwarder::onContentStoreHit
> ​. But that would affect every ndn node.​

Hi Sabet,

Thanks for the message. This is a good point to add delay before entering
outgoing Data pipeline.

> On Jan 5, 2017 7:46 PM, "Lixia Zhang" <lixia at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 5, 2017, at 3:40 AM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Teng
>>
>> You can't. Forwarding strategy only deals with Interest forwarding and
>> Nack returning. Data returning is controlled directly in incoming Data
>> pipeline and outgoing Data pipeline.
>>

>> the above stated data packet handling is not forwarding strategy's job,
>> but it sounds to me like one indeed can tweak outgoing data pipeline in
>> ndnSIM to add the effect of some delay, right?
>>
>> Teng, wonder why you'd like to add delay for data?  Just curious.
>>
>> (I know similar thing for IP experimentation, for dealing with the impact
>> of long delay links, eg satellite, or in a local imitated environment for
>> long haul networks)

Hi Lixia,

The delay is to avoid collision in wireless ad hoc networks. I didn't tweak
nfd forwarder, which is possible though. I added delay on ns3
NetDevice before sending ns3 packets.

Thanks,
Teng